Tuesday, August 4, 2009

positive thinking = positive results

...But not always in the way you might think.

Today I was running a little late for work (Bag dilemmas. I am still learning how to carry around all my food for the day plus everything else I need/usually carry without carting around two bags, or one bag the size of a baby hippo)

I'm waiting for the subway and I go into my usual train of thought (pun intended). Just then the subway pulls up and it is the typical NYC rush hour sardine situation. I couldn't do anything but rolls my eyes and smile. There was no way anyone else was fitting in that subway car (even if they were a size 0). Thinking 'great, now I have to catch the next one and be even later for work'. Then Real Me steps in: 'No! Chances are another one will come along any minute, it will be much less full, & you'll probably end up on the express platform waiting with all the people on the sardine train people anyway. So just enjoy the time & keep thinking about your Hope List'.

Since Real Me seems to be on a winning streak, I didn't argue and just did as I was told. And less than two minutes later, Real Me was proved right once again when a basically empty local train pulled up to the platform. Hurrah for being positive! It really does put you in a much better mood.

To all you pessimists or realists out there (I am a self-proclaimed realist. I really do believe there is a difference between realists and pessimists. I can't help it if we usually end up at the same conclusion though. Blame reality, not me) Give it a go. Throw some positive thoughts out there (and mean it when you do!) and see what the universe gives you back in return.

My other little observation for today is that I am much chirpier in the morning if I've worked out. First of all, I am fully awake before getting to work (rather than still working on finishing my cup of coffee), and because of that plus the workout, I am much more likely to say good morning and greet people and 1.) actually mean it, and 2.) with a big smile to match. I don't know if it brightens their day or not (if they haven't had their coffee or worked out that morning maybe it doesn't) but it sure as hell brightens mine.

And at the very least it makes you more likeable. And who doesn't want to be liked?

It's like Elle Woods said "Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people just don't shoot their husbands, they just don't."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails